Poal is a link and conversation aggregator based on votes.
At Poal, we believe the down vote is not a "I disagree button".
We'd rather engage in a counter argument with the post/comment we disagree with, and use down votes for spam (you can report to admins) and off topic trolls.
There are two different front pages: Home and All
- Home: shows only posts from subs you're subscribed to.
- All: shows everything posted.
They both can be sorted by: New, Hot, Top, Pop
- New: shows all the newly submitted posts.
- Hot: shows all the recent posts that are getting upvoted by users.
- Pop: shows all popular posts from the past 7 days that contain active discussions.
- Top: shows all the most upvoted posts.
- Every account is required to have a username to interact by posting, commenting, and voting.
- Email addresses are only used for the password recovery process. All passwords are hashed and not viewable by anyone.
- Emails and basic user settings may be accessible by certain admins involved with securing and maintaining user accounts.
- Open external links in a new window: Opens Post links in a new tab or window depending on your local device.
- Disable custom sub styles: Will disbale custom CSS stylesheets from the subs.
- Show NSFW content: Will allow Not Safe For Work content to be seen. NSFW content can include pornography, violence, or gore.
- Enable experimental features: That mode allows you to see things that the devs are testing before they are released officially to the site.
- Disable infinite scroll: Infinite mode will load the next page when you scroll to the bottom of a page without needing to click the Next Page button.
- Delete Option: Allows you to delete your account. All posts and comments will not show up in sorts. If someone has the direct link to a post, it will show [Deleted] as your name.
- A sub is a nickname for a group of posts that are under that sub and having to do with a common theme.
Settings that sub [O]wners, [M]oderators and [J]anitors can set
- Sub is NSFW: Shows if a sub is Not Safe For Work. This will auto selct NSFW for posts.
- Only mods can post: Makes it so the Sub will only allow posts from the Admins, Sub Owners, and Sub Moderators.
- Allow users to flair their own posts: Users will be allowed to select their own post flairs from the selection that the mods allow.
- Enable video player: Creates a video player, that uses the posts on the page as a playlist, in the top of your sub's sidebar.
- If a video link is not supported by your browser, it will break the playlist and you'll have to click next to continue.
- Default sub page post sorting: When someone visits the subs main page, you can set how you want it to be sorted.
- Sidebar text: Text that explains the purpose of the sub or any relevant information about the sub that can let the average user know what's going on.
- Post flairs: A tag or key that mods or users can attach to a post to further categorize a post within the sub.
- Stylesheet: CSS style code that can be applied to the sub to change the colors or add images having to do with the theme of the sub.
- Moderators: Only Owners can add new Moderators. Owners and Mods can assign post flair, change sub settings, change the stylesheet, remove posts, or ban users.
- Sub Log: Keeps track of when mods change settings, edit and assign flairs, removing posts/comments, and ban users.
- Banned Users: Banned users cannot submit comments or posts to the sub. Owners and moderators can add or remove users from the ban list.